My family has been fighting colds all week so I haven’t been getting up to exercise, but today I felt better and started the day with P90X Yoga! I already feel more alert and healthy than I did any other day this week. So, next week, our focus is on getting 45 minutes of exercise 5 days a week. I know, that may be more than you’re used to, but trust me, you will feel a huge difference! If you want to get the most bang for your time, mix it up like crazy and add weights to your workouts. Cardio is absolutely wonderful, but if all you’re doing is running every day or going to the same Zumba class every day, that could get boring. And, your muscles will get bored too
Here are some benefits of exercise:
1) Sets a great example for your children!
2) Helps tone all those jiggly areas
3) Increases endorphins – hello, happy hormone folks! Life can be stressful. Get happy by exercising!
4) Saves money. Yes, that’s right! You get bigger, you need bigger clothes, so stay fit exercising and stay in your smaller wardrobe. Healthier body means less trips to the doctor too!
5) Great bonding and socializing time with friends. Doing positive things together like exercising is a great way to get to know new people and become closer friends.
6) Helps to prevent chronic diseases like diabetes, osteoporosis, heart disease, certain kinds of cancer, etc.
7) Helps you live longer!
8) Increases energy by delivering oxygen and nutrients to your muscles.
9) Improves your marriage and by that – I mean, in the bedroom. (Seriously! There is science behind that statement!)
10) Helps you sleep. I can certainly attest to this! On days I get exercise, I go to bed earlier and sleep better.
Schedule exercise in and make that time non-negotiable. Find a friend to exercise with and help keep you accountable! Experiment with different forms of exercise to find what your body responds to best and what you enjoy most.
Here’s a recap so far of our New Year Healthier You Countdown. In addition to making weight loss menu plans, week 1, we started keeping food journals. Week 2, we eliminated sugar, junk food, processed food, soda, and fast food from our diets. Week 3 we focused on getting the needed fiber in our diets, eating 2 servings of fruit and 2 servings of vegetables per day. If you continue to build on these habits each week, you’ll be well positioned to keep your New Years Resolution to live a healthier lifestyle and if you have a weight loss goal, you better believe you’re going to have a much easier time releasing the extra weight if you start now! If you are new to Healthy Mom’s Kitchen and just hearing about our Countdown, I would recommend you go back and start at week 1 and begin to food journal so you are more aware of what you are bringing in to your body.